Iâ€™ve been a big fan of hazing since my days as President of Phi Tappa Kegga at Eastern Nevada State University (Go Pronghorns!). And Iâ€™m glad to learn that the lads at Chelsea FC are fond of the rites of passage too! Nothing bonds teammates like duct tape, shaving cream, a goat, and lots of crying . . .
According to SI.comâ€™s, Arash Markazi, Chelsea has a tradition of making the new guys sing:
Sometimes it comes as a surprise, other times they are prepped for it, but usually within days of a new player joining the squad, the newcomer is asked to sing a song for the team. (SI.com)
Awesome! We look forward to Ballackâ€™s stirring rendition of Right Said Fredâ€™s 1 â€œIâ€™m Too Sexy.â€
To help all the young soccer stars out there on the Internets, we provideThe Far Postâ€™s Tips for Singing To Your Teammates:
- Pick a song that everyone knows. With some luck, others will sing along and take the pressure off you. Recommendations: Any pub song, school fight song or, of course, Lionel Richie single.
- Consider a hip-hop/rap song. Spittinâ€™ out a mad Black Star or Dead Prez rhyme will earn you street cred AND wonâ€™t expose horrible intonation.
- Go first. Everyone is going to remember the last guyâ€™s effort.
- As tempting as it will be, donâ€™t dress up in drag. Pictures of your performance will appear on the Internet hours later.
1. That website has a login! Lord knows what manner of hidden treasures and dark secrets lurk within the Memberâ€™s Only section of Right Said Fredâ€™s website!
- All Star Game Pictures
- We’ve already paid for ourselves too!
- A Win, eh?
- Live Blogging the US Soccer Presser
- A Night in Columbus